Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Felice Brothers

Those that know me know that I have an eclectic taste in music, but also know that folk/country/blues is my favourite kind of music. Bob Dylan for example is my hero. Well I think I have just come across the best album I've ever heard on first listening alone, ever! I don't think I'm going to be able to put it down in writing how good this album is so I will take a snippet from what Mojo magazine said.

"They charm like a snake oil salesmen in a 19th-century medicine show; they stomp the boards like spirit-filled preachers; they close their eyes when they croon their imperfect (and therefore paradoxically perfect) Catskill Mountain harmonies; they smile wickedly when they drop into a groove; they bring a little bit of that front porch feeling with them wherever they go.....and their all the more golden and beautiful for it."

Once you get past the 'God, he don't arf sound like Dylan' and just listen to the songs you realize what a great great debut album this is.

So good in fact I have just ordered the limited edition vinyl which cost £13.00 and I have only £18 in the bank with hardly any food in the cupboards but I have to have it. Sounding something like Dylan at his sarcastic best, Townes van zandt at his most tragic and some say early raw Springsteen, their slightly off key singing, the simple production, these guys are born in the wrong century. For a debut album to be this good makes you wonder what can they do after this? I can hardly wait to find out!!


Attached are two tracks from 'TONIGHT AT THE ARIZONA' are the excellent 'Ballad of Lou the welterweight' and 'Going going gone' I hope everyone loves this band as much as I do and if you do buy it here or buy it from your local independent record store. Enjoy.

The Felice Brothers - Ballad of lou the welterweight mp3
The Felice Brothers - Going, Going,Gone mp3


4 comments:

olly said...

Geordie ! Come on !
Muzak could feed your soul for sure but keep in mind that we're counting on you for further posts !!! I'm becoming to turn blind as each of your tip matches my mood !!! Let me check my cupboard first ! Damned I'm starving too ;)

Geordie said...

Ha ha,i just been so busy lately and also it takes me for ever to put just one blog up man as my computer is rubbish.

Also i will be commenting on everyones music soon,i just need to listen for a while before making my mind up usually.

Peace

Trini said...

I knew it, you do spend all your money on music. We shall soon start a Geordie fund. ditto on the listening to everyone's post. So much music so little time.

irishcornboy said...

Martin, good choice. Craig over at Songs:Illinois turned me onto these guys a few weeks back? I believe they share a label with Grand Drive?