Sunday, August 19, 2007

Joshua James

I've been listening to Joshua James for quite some time now but really was unsure if I liked his music. It wasn't until Olly posted him on the Ray Forum page that I revisited his profile and music again.

His debut album, The Sun Is Always Brighter, has quickly become permanent on my CD player rotation. He is a 24 year old singer/songwriter that has been making music for about four years now. He is fairly new to the music world but you wouldn't know it after listening to his songs. I think my reluctness to embrace him had a lot to do with his whispery vocals. At first he reminded me of Josh Radin and in my opinion there really was only room for one whispery vocalist. I have to admit that although he sings with a soft voice you can hear the infliction of emotion in it. It's safe to say that I've changed my opinion and there is now room for two.

I want to officially take back my comment posted on the Ray Forum page, "You know how it is, everyone now a days is a singer song writer, it's tough to really find that gem." I think he is on his way in becoming a gem and one to definitely look out for. Olly, thanks for posting about him again, I would have overlooked him if it wasn't for your post. He truly is a good story teller.

Download:

Joshua James

Tracks:

01: FM Radio
02: Lord, Devil, and Him
03: Tell My Pa


4 comments:

Steven O'Rourke said...

Hey GCGB it's kidwithaconscience from Damien Rice forum. I didn't realise you were a fellow music writer. Nice find this (Joshua James) he's a fantastic voice, very smooth and there's a hint of Josh Ritter/Oliver Cole about his music and style of songwriting.

I'm going to add you're blog to by blog roll on my key notes blog @ http://www.cluas.com/indie-music/blogs/Key_Notes.aspx

Trini said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Laura said...

hey kid, welcome....the Joshua James was posted by Trini so you can thank her for the find ;)

will add your blog as well, cheers!

olly said...

I've been listening all day long to last Joshua Radin album... then Joshua James... I've never made the comparison between the two first... But true, both are whispering... and both have written a 'Today' titled song... No way to choose which one I prefer...

Note : Joshua seems to be a popular name overseas - let's add Josh Ritter, Josh Tillman, Josh Rouse...